My family’s favorite vegan alternative to ground meat, wheat, and soy that has an excellent texture is Mushrooms. Yep mushrooms. If you are a mushroom hater it’s all good because so isn’t half of my family. When I make this I get NO complaints. Not even from the beef eaters.
You have to dice the mushrooms really fine. The oil you use will depend on the type of recipe you are using the mushrooms for. When making stuffed peppers, lasagna, or spaghetti, I use 100 % Cold Pressed Olive Oil. Sidebar. Actually, mushrooms retain so much water that you can make this without actually cooking the mushrooms in oil. To get the desired texture without oil you can spread them out on a cookie sheet, season them, and bake them until the moisture runs out at 300 and until they are almost dehydrated and crispy. You want them a little on the crispy side because when you add sauce they will swell a bit.
- Put just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pot you are using.
- Add the diced mushrooms
- Season them with your favorite seasonings
- Let them cook until they almost stick to the pan
- Stir them and repeat step 4
- Add red or green bell peppers and onion to taste